Where He Leads I Will Follow: Walking with Mary

 

For no word from God will ever fail.” “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.  Luke 1:37-38

 At Christmastime we read this story and are filled with awe and wonder that an angel appeared to a young girl, Mary was likely in her early teens, telling her that she would be the mother of the Messiah. It is a beautiful story, but when you slow down and look at it from Mary’s perspective, there is so much more to it!

 By accepting what the angel said to her, she recognized that a great deal of risk of life and limb came with it. You see, Mary was engaged to be married to Joseph. Unlike today’s engagements, this betrothal was far more serious and binding. Mary coming up pregnant would brand her as an adulteress since she had not yet come together with her husband. In that day in age, she could be stoned to death for this! At the very least, her good reputation would be deeply soiled. The road ahead would be frightfully difficult, and she could only guess at the challenges to come.  

 Looking back at some of the other historical figures we’ve looked at in this study, Mary’s acceptance is pretty amazing. She didn’t look for proof like Abraham or argue with the angel like Moses. She asked a legitimate question about how the angel’s prophecy was to come about, but never questioned its truth. She accepted her role and submitted to God’s will in her life and the world. This huge revelation would turn her life upside down and change everything, but she acquiesced humbly. What a role model! She clearly believed that if God was able to make her pregnant miraculously through the Holy Spirit that He could also protect her and that baby and make everything work out ok.

 I wish that I could say I have followed in Mary’s footsteps in my life, but I’m far more like Abraham and Moses. When presented with challenges, with life-altering information, I question it. I ask not just how, but why and if it’s really what I’m supposed to do. I look for clarity and proof. Now, to be fair, I haven’t had an angel come and tell me anything, at least as far as I know, but neither have I been asked to undertake a role as pivotal as Mary was. I so admire her humble acquiescence and I would love to see that take shape in my life as well.

Here’s the thing: I’m not likely to be faced with an ask from God like Mary was, but I can still learn from Mary’s response and tailor my reaction to what God brings my way to be more like hers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Hate Begets Hate

Preparing for Radiation: Five Wishes

Preparing for Radiation: Cutting my Hair