Where He Leads I Will Follow: The Woman Behind the Man
On that very day Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth, together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark. Genesis 7:13
Today’s study focuses on Noah’s wife, though I’m not sure why. The SOAP verse above is one of only a few mentions we have of her, along with her sons’ wives. The Bible says in chapter 7 that they went into the ark, and then in a couple of verses in chapter 8 that they came out of the ark. That’s it. It doesn’t seem as though there is any more significance to it other than that the people went into the ark in pairs, male and female, as the animals did.
So, what can
we learn from Noah’s wife? Odds are she didn’t say or do anything wildly
against her husband’s mission, because that would likely have been recorded as
it was in Job
2:9-10. We can guess, from the lack of information otherwise, that Noah’s
wife and sons supported him in his mission from God to build an ark. That must
have been difficult. Noah had heard from God directly with very specific
instructions, but they just had to take Noah at his word. I’m guessing it was a
family affair, as I’m not sure how Noah could have built something so large (450
feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high) by himself. Were the women involved
in the construction, or just the men? In any case, they would have provided support,
comfort and love during this time. With the whole world against them,
literally, the men would have needed a safe home-base, somewhere that they were
believed, loved and cared for as they completed their special calling.
As women, we may
think our “job” is as a teacher or a nurse or leading worship at church, but if
we are married, our first and highest calling is to our husband. When God puts
a call on his life, it is our calling too, whether we participate in it
directly or support him in it. My husband is deeply called to minister to the
homeless* in our community. My first participation in this was to encourage him
in his calling. He felt led to volunteer in the kitchen at the local Mission,
and I cleared time in our calendar. In early 2020, he became more and more
involved in volunteering, and while I did not go with him, I rearranged our
time. We had dinner at a different hour, we didn’t schedule things for his
serving time, and I supported him going out early in the morning or late at night.
Then COVID hit. The Mission was devastated as nearly all of the volunteers
stopped coming, but the population they were serving increased dramatically. Early
on, my husband showed up for his dinner shift and the staff cook broke out in
tears because she thought she was going to have to serve 250 people all by
herself. Why did the volunteers stop coming? They were afraid of COVID. It was
reasonable. We were being told that this deadly disease was around every corner
and they had not, as of yet, developed any successful treatments for it. But
that didn’t change the need. As an immune-compromised person, I could have
easily asked my husband not to serve and I’m sure he would have agreed, though
it would have torn him apart from the inside out. My role, however, was to
support him in what God had called him to do. So, instead, I encouraged him to
go more. He went nearly every day for a long time. When he and whichever of my
kids who had gone with him returned home, they would strip down and put all
their clothes in the washer then hop in the shower and clean off any germs that
may have lingered. God was gracious to us, and we never caught COVID from my
husband’s service to the community. We did get it much later from a trip we
took, but during the height and danger of the pandemic, we were kept safe. My
husband went on to continue serving: in the kitchen, at the thrift store, with
the search and rescue team that goes out onto the streets and ministers to
people. He even served on the board for a year. Yes, I have joined him a few
times at the kitchen and in the search and rescue van, but that is not where
God has called me full-time like him. So how do I serve? By supporting
my husband in his service. By saving him dinner on nights when he’s out till
11pm. By guarding our calendar. By encouraging him to sign up for shifts. By
NOT complaining about his absence or his service. I celebrate his wins. I pray
for his losses. I offer a listening ear when he needs to debrief about
traumatic experiences. I hold him when he mourns losing those he has served.
And I believe that my service matters, just as his does. If I weren’t
supporting him, it’s unlikely that he would have reached over 3,000 hours of
service in the last six years. Who knows what lives would not have been
touched, which people would have been left unrescued.
Here’s the Thing: Just like Noah’s wife, I will likely
go down in history as the spouse of a wonderful man who followed God, and I’m
happy to do it. While my role is not as forward-facing or obvious, it is still
critically important, as I’m sure hers was. What I know for sure is that God
sees it all, and as He has called me to support and love my husband, He knows all
that goes into it, and I don’t need anyone else to.
* Yes, I am aware that the politically correct phrase is “persons experiencing homelessness,” but in honor of my husband and his direct experience working with these precious people, I will not use the phrase that was designed to make other people more comfortable. They call themselves homeless and I will too.
Comments
Post a Comment