Where He Leads I Will Follow: What Are You Looking At?
The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. Genesis 6:5-6
Our verses today share that, at the time of Noah, “every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.” Do you think God feels the same way now? If not, what’s different? I’d like to think that humanity has come a long way from this place. We have good people that love God and do good things all over the world, from the Billy Grahams and Luis Palaus to the Sunday school teachers and church janitors. But, if I’m being really honest, there are still evil thoughts and inclinations in my heart all the time.
I rarely act on them,
mind you, but yesterday was an example to me of how, even as a new creation
redeemed by Christ, I am definitely NOT perfect. I was grumpy yesterday. Grumpy
and crabby and, well, salty. I hadn’t slept well in a couple of nights, I had
sat on a plane for like 6 hours, I had found a NEW allergy which resulted in a
great deal of discomfort, and led to some of the sleeplessness, and I was
dealing with a miserable scalp infection and a migraine to top it all off. I.
Was. Crabby. You’d think, “Oh well with all this going on she had a right to be
crabby,” but let me fill you in on the rest. I got up Saturday morning and
headed to the airport where I was wheeled around by my loving husband, relaxed
and ate a lovely breakfast in a well-appointed airport lounge, boarded first on
the plane because of my wheelchair where I got to sit in premium economy for
the flight and enjoy special snacks and beverages and extra leg room. Then,
once in Florida, we got on a convenient, timely shuttle that wasn’t crowded and
took us directly to the hotel without multiple stops where our comfortable room
was waiting for us and we got to have a delicious dinner right across the
street. Then, the next morning, after a hearty breakfast we took a leisurely
drive to the port where we were promptly helped and boarded the ship hours
before our scheduled time, met with our room being immediately available and
then a delicious lunch. There were two stories going on. One in which I was
physically miserable and justifiably grumpy, and the other where I was pampered
and provided for abundantly. They were both true, and they were both valid. Sadly,
for a period of time anyways, I chose to live in the grumpy one. I tried to hide
it, putting on a smile and participating in the activities we had going on, but
I was downright miserly inside – a Scrooge if you will – and I know it showed
through far more than I would have liked to believe. I’m embarrassed and so sorry
for my husband and son who had to live with it.
Comments
Post a Comment