A Strange Side-Effect of Radiation

 

 When it comes to the side effects of radiation, this wasn't listed in any of the literature, but it seems that it has caused in me a passion for... crochet. Didn't see that coming did you? Yep, since the beginning of my treatment, I can't put my hook down! In fact, I often have multiple projects going at once. It all started with turtles...

 I like to call them my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles since they were a result of my radiation treatment 😂. I had been finishing a project I had started some time ago, just for something to do, while scrolling through patterns and ideas when these little guys jumped off the screen at me. I bought my first digital pattern on Etsy and navigated to Knit Pics, my mom's favorite yarn site, to grab the required supplies which, by God's grace, were on sale and there was a free shipping promotion! I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed using the Animation yarn from Knit Pics! It is high-quality with beautiful colors and a joy to work with. And one of the fun features of these little turtles is that they have a practical aspect to them of turning into a market bag as well!


 As much as I'd like to share pictures of all the creations I've made, many of them are destined for Christmas gifts, so they'll have to remain secret for now, but there's one other project I've completed that I can share - my hat! As I mentioned in a post a couple of weeks ago, I have to wear a sun hat whenever I'm outside and exposed to UV rays - for the rest of my life. While that could be seen as a bummer, it can also be seen as an opportunity to expand my accessory wardrobe! I ran across this pattern in my scrolling, which showed me it was even a possibility. I had never thought of crocheting a sun hat. I happened to have some worsted weight cotton left over from a past project so I figured I would give it a try. I was dubious about wearing a hat made from a double-strand of yarn in the middle of summer. Wouldn't it trap the heat and make me miserable? But no! Turns out that cotton yarn, even when very thick, breathes wonderfully! I've worn this hat on the hottest days and felt a cooling sensation on my head. So, it opened up possibilities for me, and was fun to make, and gave me a useful item as a result. 


Here's the Thing: Not all the side effects of radiation were listed in the literature 😂. I can't tell you what started this whole obsession, but I feel like it's a gift from God, helping me to have something fun and meaningful to do as I recuperate. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Hate Begets Hate

Preparing for Radiation: Five Wishes

Preparing for Radiation: Cutting my Hair