Living on God's Spoons

 

Whoever speaks, let it be with God's words. Whoever serves, do so with the strength that God supplies, so that in everything God will be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen.  1 Peter 4: 11

I’m coming off of a beautiful, but very full weekend. God carried me through for sure! I definitely felt His strength enabling me to entertain, visit, pack, unpack, repack, etc. It was well beyond my usual capacity for activity and He provided. I anticipated that this week would be one where I would be recuperating, and that has proven very true. I have woken up each morning bone-weary exhausted. The pain has been intense. Was it worth it? Absolutely! Would I do it again? In a second!

Over the last few years I’ve been learning about the SpoonTheory and incorporating its principles into my life. I’m constantly aware of how much energy I have and how much will be required of me in the rest of my day. I’ve had to learn to say, “No” to good things, things I would very much like to do. I’ve had to learn to sit down for conversations when everyone else is standing. I’ve had to incorporate naps into my routine as much as possible. I’ve learned a certain laugh my husband has when I tell him my plans that immediately makes me rethink them because, let’s face it, he’s usually right. But as I look at these verses I wonder, am I working too hard to do things in my own strength? Am I not depending on the Lord? How will He be glorified if all I do is in my carefully apportioned energy?

(My son even got a tattoo of a spoon to remind him of me)

Consider Luke 14:28-30. 

"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won't you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, 'This person began to build and wasn't able to finish.' "

I believe that God has given us all we need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3). He gave me the energy I have, and a mind to budget it. I firmly believe He was the One who introduced me to the Spoon Theory in the first place. He expects me to know my limits and not embark on a project far beyond them unless He has called me to it or it is outside of my control. It is in those circumstances that I need to lean on Him and trust Him for the strength that is not my own, that is the strength that I experienced last weekend. Next week I have two full days in the hospital in The City doing neurological testing that is likely to be thoroughly draining, beyond what I’m capable of on my own, but I have to do it. I am trusting God for the strength to get through it. But when I asked my husband if we could attend a gala dinner out of town, three hours away, the next day, he gave me that laugh, and I knew.

Here's the Thing: Everything I do is in God’s strength. Getting out of bed this morning felt like I needed God’s strength to do it. But how can anyone outside of myself see that? How can I glorify God by operating in His strength when I require His strength just to operate on the fringes of normal? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Crazy Thing

At least it's not bad news

When "Wait and See" Wouldn't Sound so Bad