In the Hands of the Potter

 

“I, the LORD, say: ‘O nation of Israel, can I not deal with you as this potter deals with the clay? In my hands, you, O nation of Israel, are just like the clay in this potter’s hand.’  Jeremiah 18:6

Are doctors prophets? Maybe, sometimes. I don’t know what their spiritual giftings are, they usually don’t list those on their profiles. Can God use them in those ways in my life? Definitely. God has sent several different doctors into my life that have affected its course and direction. Sometimes I listened to them, sometimes I didn’t. Sometimes I was supposed to and sometimes I wasn’t!

Most recently I had an encounter with a neuro radio oncologist who prophesied sunshine and roses for me. He told me that the best and only information available for my extremely rare tumor stated that I had a 95% survival rate and so I shouldn’t be in the least concerned. I could have walked out of that appointment with a false sense of hope and gone about my life in peace. The reality was that his “best and only” information was severely flawed, and the bulk of the information out there painted a very different picture. Instead of being an appointment that inspired peace, it was an appointment that inspired research.

My new neuro radio oncologist is less insistent that the future is certain, but she inspires a lot more trust. Her methods don’t feel solid or measurable to me. I don’t walk out with a piece of paper with numbers and a plan. I wish I did, but I don’t. Whether she realizes it or not, my new doctor is encouraging me to walk by faith and not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7). This is challenging for me, but that’s not a bad thing.

When God took Jeremiah to visit the potter, Jeremiah witnessed the potter having issues with the pot he was making on the wheel. When he did, he would rework the clay. He would literally glob it all back together into a ball and start again. Sometimes it might need a little more water on it to make it softer, more pliable. What he didn’t do was throw it away. He also didn’t try to keep fixing something that was clearly not working. Once it reaches a point where it’s not balanced, where it’s wobbling out of control, the potter stops. He doesn’t keep adjusting and fixing, he stops. He takes it down and reworks it.

Here's the Thing: I could have kept trying with the first doctor. I could have kept going back with different studies and tried to convince him of different outcomes and directions of treatment. But the reality was I needed to go in a different direction. I could have thrown medicine out entirely and gone a different direction – lots of people have. But instead, I backed up and tried again with a different doctor. This time it seems to be working. God is definitely teaching me through her. We’ll see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Crazy Thing

At least it's not bad news

When "Wait and See" Wouldn't Sound so Bad