What We All Need

It’s nearly 2AM last night and we’re trudging off the plane and through the airport. Ok, it’s really 10:45pm, but my body says it’s almost 2AM because it’s still on East coast time. We’ve gathered all our belongings, reassembled my wheelchair, and used the restroom and I’m just going through the steps to call the parking lot shuttle when I hear our last name called out over the loudspeaker followed by, “Please bring your ID to the podium.” My husband, hauling our luggage and pushing my wheelchair, stops short. “Did you hear that?” I look over and notice that the gate next to us has a flight heading to Anchorage and realize they must be calling our daughter!

What a fun coincidence that we would be in the exact same place at the same time when she tends to jet set around the world! But as I look around, I don’t see her anywhere. I pull out my phone and call her, straight to voicemail. But just in case I try again and this time she picks up. She’s in the middle of TSA, where you’re not supposed to be on your phone (thus the first voicemail) but she was so concerned about me calling so late that she figured she’d better answer. I told her where I was and that they were calling for her, encouraging her to hurry up! My husband went back to the podium and entreated the gate agent to save her spot and wait just a few more minutes, which technically they’re not supposed to do, but what are you going to do when someone’s mom in a wheelchair is sitting there?

Yes, my body think’s its 2AM, but I have a chance to get a hug from my daughter! I’m going to wait! A few minutes pass and in the distance I see that distinctive waddle-run I could pick out anywhere, even with double vision. “Here she comes!” I called out to my husband! “She’s almost here!” He hollers to the gate agent. She slows as she approaches the gate and I call out to her not to slow down, but to hurry up! As she rolls into the gate area, her Dad wraps her up in a big hug and plants her firmly in line at the gate. He’s so happy to see her that he’s forgotten me over in the terminal, so I start rotating and wheeling my chair over, I’ve got to see my girl! Yes, I’m not supposed to wheel my chair myself, but we have priorities. Yes, I could have gotten up and walked, but my brain had completely shut down by that point.

The tension is thick and it looks like we’ve missed out when they close the jet bridge door. Someone says, “Oh no!” (was it me?). The gate agent assures us, “She’ll be back in just a minute.” After what seems like an interminable wait and a couple jumping right in front of her, that I almost took out (don’t mess with mama bear at 2am/11pm), she’s given a boarding pass and joins the queue to board the plane. We give her last hugs and wave her goodbye as she boards.

I’m cracking up as I see a note on Instagram from her when I get home. I’ve sent her a meme days ago that she’s just seen:

Today’s verses speak right to the heart of this.

For we do not have a high priest incapable of sympathizing with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in every way just as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and find grace whenever we need help.  Hebrews 4: 15-16

Our Savior gets us. He wasn’t immune to this world’s challenges. He faced them and experienced life, just like us. Yeah, He never got stuck in TSA and had to run through the airport, but you’d better bet people thought He was late at times! Just ask Mary and Martha when their brother passed.

Here’s the Thing: Jesus has grace for us. He wants us to have grace for each other as well. Yes, we gave our daughter the requisite amount of ribbing for not planning the right amount of time to get to the airport, but more importantly we showed her we loved and cared for her by holding her spot, waiting for her, and waiting with her when we were exhausted. Show grace, Lord knows we all need it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Crazy Thing

At least it's not bad news

When "Wait and See" Wouldn't Sound so Bad