Planting Seeds


 This is my Father's world,
And to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas--
His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world:
O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the Ruler yet.
This is my Father's world:
Why should my heart be sad?
The Lord is King: let the heavens ring!
God reigns; let earth be glad!

When my children were young, we used a kindergarten homeschool curriculum called My Father’s World. We would sing this song every week. Today, when I hear this song, it brings back such sweet memories. I think of treasure hunts outside to find leaves for crayon rubbings and trips to the library for books on P is for penguin. I think Kindergarten was my favorite. There was no pressure to learn to read or master math, we were just exploring.

While they were growing up, I was very intentional about integrating faith into their lives. We attended church on Sundays and participated in mid-week programs. Our homeschool curriculum always had a Bible component and we prioritized personal Bible study. When they came of age, my husband spent a year doing a Bible study with them, taking them out to breakfast each week. As I look back, though, I wish I had been more intentional about integrating faith into our conversations more. Apart from the perfunctory, “What did you learn in Sunday School today?” I can’t remember us having regular faith conversations. I think I was afraid of them. Afraid I wouldn’t know what to say. Afraid I would say the wrong thing. How could I let fear steal so much from us?

               Now I no longer have the excuse of homeschooling to integrate faith into our relationships. They are grown and out living their lives. So, in this new season, how can I cultivate and nurture the tender soil of my children’s hearts to help them grow in their love and understanding of God’s design and purpose for their lives? I think the first step is prayer. One must first prepare the soil for planting, and I believe prayer is the appropriate preparation for the soil of their hearts. I prayerfully sprinkle our conversations with seeds. I ask how I can pray for them. I follow up on prayer requests to see how things are going. I can tell them about how God is working in my life.

Here's the Thing: I need to recognize that growth is God’s responsibility, not mine. I’m not transplanting full-grown bushes into their hearts, I need to plant seeds and water them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Crazy Thing

At least it's not bad news

When "Wait and See" Wouldn't Sound so Bad