Free to Eat?

 


So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.  1 Corinthians 10: 31

I have a long history with restrictive diets. Really, it dates back to my childhood watching my family yo-yo dieting with Slim Fast and other equally toxic and unmaintainable eating styles. Those early messages were so conflicting and confusing. “Food is bad, because it’s so good.” I’m not sure how you ever really clear out those founding memories. Sugar is bad. Salt is bad. Fat is bad. Carbs are bad. Artificial sweeteners are bad. Red Meat is bad. Gluten is bad. Dairy is bad. Oh wait, but most of those things are good and necessary too.

As an adult, I’ve bumped up against several needs for diets. When my children were born, I wanted to lose the pregnancy weight. My babies had severe allergies and I was nursing them, so I had to cut out dairy and soy – not an easy thing to do at the turn of the century when labels were still very lacking. Then my body started to go crazy. In hindsight, it was likely the first signs of MCAS. Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) is a condition where mast cells, which are part of the immune system, release too many chemicals into the body, leading to a range of symptoms. These chemicals, known as mediators, are typically involved in allergic reactions and help fight infections. However, in MCAS, their excessive release can cause symptoms similar to an allergic reaction, including skin rashes, itching, and gastrointestinal issues. I did six years of three allergy shots a week, multiple extreme elimination diets, and more medication than I can remember.

All this to say that rules around eating make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. In Galatians 5:1 it says, “For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not be subject again to the yoke of slavery.” I totally believe this applies to my eating, or at least my mindset around eating. That said, I will be the first one to abstain if someone in the room is unable to have something. You’re an alcoholic? I will NOT be drinking around you. You can’t have gluten, well neither can I so that’s moot… You’re diabetic, you’d better bet I’m not bringing a sugary cake over. I feel like that is an expression of my freedom. I am free to support and love on you in your needs.

Here’s the Thing: In my freedom, my waistline has gotten away from me. My ability to exercise is so very limited with two sprained ankles, an arm that is still recovering from massive reconstructive surgery, and the plethora of different sprains and lax joints in the rest of me. So, all that is left is to regulate my eating. I’m not quite sure what to do about that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Crazy Thing

At least it's not bad news

When "Wait and See" Wouldn't Sound so Bad