Caring for Your Caregiver

 


He holds down the fort. He picks up my pieces when I drop them everywhere. But he has needs too. Who takes care of the caregiver?

I think the most important thing is to recognize these needs from the get go. Don't wait until things get bad and then have to fix a situation. Know that we are all human and we all need to be fed physically, emotionally and spiritually. Figure out what does that for your caregiver, work with them, don't just assume. 

For my husband we have identified different levels of nourishment. Regular, weekly feeding actually comes to him through service. This might be in the form of serving at our local homeless shelter or on their outreach team or for our church. Usually it's some combination thereof. And we're not talking an hour or two on a Saturday afternoon, he needs to serve about 10-15 hours a week to feel filled up. 

In addition, he needs periodic breaks away from it all. He does this in the form of solo hikes out in the woods, usually on the mountain as far into the wilderness and away from people as possible. He'll go for as little as one night or as long as a week or more. Sometimes he'll bring someone with him, but if he does it serves a different purpose and doesn't recharge him in the same way. Really, he needs to get alone with God and his thoughts and not have to worry about anyone but himself for a bit. 

Finally, I had to learn that my husband needs someone to talk to that he can just process with. For too long, when he told me about something that he was struggling with or that was bothering him, I would try to help or fix it. This just made it worse. I needed to learn to just listen. I had to stop owning his problems or feeling responsible. It made him feel worse when I said I was sorry, because then he felt like he'd burdened me. I needed to learn to say, "I hear you," and, "That must be hard." I learned to help him process by asking, "How did that make you feel?" or, "What would you like to see done about that?" I needed to validate his feelings and help him feel heard. I needed to stop making it about me, because it wasn't.

So, a big part of taking care of my caretaker is just giving him permission, supporting him in doing what he needs to do to be healthy. It's easy to feel selfish when you're doing things to take care of yourself, even if those things are awesome like serving at a homeless mission. I need to keep reminding him that it's ok for him to take the time he needs to do those things. I'll be ok. I'll miss him, but I want him to do those things because it's who he is, it's what he needs, it makes him even better.

Here's the thing: Who takes care of my caretaker? He does. I do. We do. It's a team effort. That's one of the beauties of our relationship these days, we're a team. We work together both for my caretaking and for his. I am his caretaker and he is mine. Almost sounds like Song of Songs, doesn't it?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Crazy Thing

At least it's not bad news

When "Wait and See" Wouldn't Sound so Bad