Living in the Fire


I can’t discount the fact that I’ve come across the story of metal smithing multiple times lately leading up to studying this verse today. I did a little searching to refresh my memory and found this devotional that shares the basic information as I remember it (https://www.touchinglives.org/devotionals/refiners-fire). To paraphrase, a goldsmith must hold the gold in the hottest part of the fire to heat it to the point where the impurities are separated from the gold. But he cannot just leave it there, he must watch it carefully to be sure it does not get too hot. And how does he know when it is ready? When he can see his reflection in it!

I’ve been going through a season of rather exceptional trial. You can read about some of it here (https://saltyzebra.blogspot.com/2024/02/the-whole-story-part-one-call-that.html). I almost feel like I can tell when I’m being held in the hottest part of the fire and when I’m backing out of it a little. I definitely still feel the heat though! I can certainly say I’ve grown and changed through this season. My priorities have shifted. How I spend my time has changed. Even how I think is different. Is God working in my life to grow me to be more like His Son? That’s certainly what this verse indicates.

I’m waiting for the praise and honor and glory part. I’ve seen that time and again in different parts of my life where God has brought me through something and at the end it all made sense and I couldn’t help but glorify Him. This time I’m still so stuck in the refining part that I can’t see the glory. I’m certain that He will use it for something because He always has before and that’s what His Word promises. I just can’t quite see how yet.

Here's the Thing: Sometimes in great stories the reader/watcher can see the beautiful end before the protagonist can. You see them almost give up just before they reach the glorious finish. But in the best stories, the main characters gives it one more push and makes it to the end. I want my story to be one of the best!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on Having a Brain Tumor

Guest Post: How are you doing?

The Call That Changes Your Life