Testing Week! First up - Stool Test

 


    This week I've set aside time to take care of all the tests that have piled up for me to do.  I would have done them sooner but between confusing directions and finding out at the last minute that I needed to be off certain medicine/supplements for 1-2 weeks before the test it got pushed out.  What I did do was schedule times/days this week for me to do the tests so that I didn't have to have them hanging over my head in the meantime.  This is one of my little hacks that helps me to relax.  As long as I have things lingering on my to-do list I feel overwhelmed, but if I simply schedule a time to do them, I can let it go until it's time.  

    Today is stool test day.  This is my fourth time taking a stool test through Genova Diagnostics, but it's been about four years since my last test so I'm curious what has changed.  I've been having increasing digestive problems and getting a new stool test in addition to bringing on board a Gastroenterologist are our next steps to dealing with them. I decided not to take pictures/video of the test itself, you're welcome, but I thought that it might be helpful to include a basic description of the process for those that might be interested.  Here's your fair warning, if these things gross you out, stop reading now!



    You start by "catching" your sample in a snack tray like the one above.  In the past my doctor has always sent me home with a "hat" so this was my first time trying it this way.  It works, but it is definitely awkward.  Next comes the gross part.  Your kit comes with a number of vials partially filled with liquid.  Each vial comes with a spoon that should be, but isn't always, attached to the lid.  I have had to reattach at least one spoon each time I've done one of these tests.  You use the spoon to collect samples from different areas and then drop them into the liquid until it reaches the "fill" line.  The you stir it a bit, close it, and shake it vigorously to mix it.  You do this for each of the vials with liquid and then you fill an empty vial to the fill line with just your sample.  Finally, they have you coat a swab with the sample material and place it in a thin vial.  The weirdest/grossest part is that after you have collected all the samples and placed them in the return box, you have to keep it in your refrigerator until you can take it to the Fed Ex store.  No, there is no scent because everything is in sealed vials inside sealed plastic bags, inside a box, inside another plastic bag, but still... weird.  


    A few weeks later a very detailed report will be sent to the doctor that ordered the test for you, and, thanks to the wonders of the internet, you can access the report online as well.  I'll be honest, I'm not going to wait until my doctor's appointment at the end of the month to find out my results, especially if it's not done yet and I'd have to wait another month!  I feel pretty confident reading these reports myself now after having done it with a physician a few times.  They are pretty clear and come with lots of explanation.  The funny part of that is when I showed my last stool test report to the ARNP I saw at the GI doctor's office last month he said, "I have no idea what any of this stuff is!"  That did NOT increase my opinion of him or his abilities :(.  

Here's the thing:  This test is not likely to be a big surprise or a clear indicator of where I should go next, but it was one thing I could do to try.  It seems like that's my path lately, try the next most reasonable thing!

    



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on Having a Brain Tumor

Guest Post: How are you doing?

The Call That Changes Your Life