Day 5: Planning the trip is half (or more) of the fun!


     I love to travel, but I love planning travel even more! I love to dream about trips and put together itineraries just for fun, even if I don't get to do them-although once I start dreaming about a trip I want to do it all the more!
     When my oldest son was five I took him to Disneyland, just the two of us. I had that four-day trip planned out in fifteen minute increments, I'm not kidding. About thirty minutes into the first day I thought it would be a good idea to hop on the Matterhorn because the line was so short. After one look at the abominable snowman, my son wouldn't get on another ride till after four pm.  So much for my plan! That same son, when we were sorting out his senior trip for high school, insisted that we not have a plan. So, being the person I am, came up with an "un-plan" that accounted for every possible option we might want to pursue. I had listed out every potential place we might like to visit with their open hours and days as well as the best ways to get to them from different parts of city. Planning to be spontaneous is SO MUCH HARDER! I've learned a lot over the last twenty five or so years of trip planning. We've been all over the world, to Asia, Africa, Europe, South America, Central America, and many places in the US. 
     It worries me a little, but I'm noticing that my health is deteriorating more rapidly than I thought possible. There are several things I could do well, easily two years ago that I can't do at all now. Two years ago I was a regularly teaching yoga instructor that practically lived in "easy pose" (criss cross legs) and now that post not only isn't easy, it's not even possible. So as my husband and I have been talking about some things I'd really like to be able to see and do in this life, he's become more insistent that I begin to pursue them more quickly than I have been. I've been content to go on a trip or two a year, but at that rate I'm not likely to get to experience half of my hopes. So, for the next few years, I'm purposing to get out and do all that I can. We've set aside a budget for me to spend from and now I just have to dream and do. 
Here's the thing: The logic behind this is, best case scenario I get better and I can do these things again in other ways. Worst case scenario my health declines further and I can't, but I have the memories and experiences to look back on. It's a win-win.

     As a side note, I'm completely aware of how blessed I am that this is a possibility for me financially and otherwise. I am VERY grateful for the opportunity and certainly don't want to rub salt in anyone's wounds by sharing my excitement. I am, though, trying to share in this blog the things I'm doing and interested in and travel is definitely one of them, so I hope you can understand where I'm coming from and not take offense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on Having a Brain Tumor

Guest Post: How are you doing?

The Call That Changes Your Life