Day 3: When change smacks you upside the head


     Five years ago some friends of ours from India came to stay with us for a bit.  We had a great time hanging out in The City, going to a local farm for a harvest festival, and carving pumpkins.  Today one of them returned to stay with us for a few days.  As his arrival approached, and even more when he got here, I was faced with what a different place I am in today than I was then. The last time they came I had just finished my Yoga training and was praying about how and where to use it.  My body was in pretty good shape, my digestive system was a mess but the rest of it worked pretty well.  We walked all over two nearby cities and did tons of active things - I didn't break a sweat. I even had my husband taking some yoga photos of me for my portfolio (see above). Three of my four children were still living at home and the oldest was living in a dorm nearby going to college.  

    This time, all but one of my children are moved out on their own with one living a 4.5 hour drive and the other a 4 hour flight away.  As the time of our friends arrival approached, my husband and I scrambled to come up with what we could do to entertain him.  My mobility and energy are so limited now that trying to do anything was a little intimidating.  Then last week my back "went out."  I don't know if it's a muscle spasm or I tore something or what, but I can barely walk across the house, and that with quite a bit of pain.  Now, the thought of what to do is even more scary.  Our friend arrived this afternoon and I enjoyed visiting with him for about an hour and a half while my husband was in a meeting (virtually).  After that they left to serve at the local homeless mission.  At the end of that brief visit I was WIPED!  I was almost shaky tired, I had a headache, it was almost like  I had the flu.  I'm not sure what to do with that.  I can't just do nothing with my friend - he flew half way across the world to be here. But I'm not sure what I CAN do without seriously harming myself.  This is SO DIFFERENT from last time!

Here's the thing: They say to not focus on what you can't do, but what you can.  I'm struggling to imagine what it is that I can do.  I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I don't want to overdo and injure myself further.  Balance is tough!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on Having a Brain Tumor

Guest Post: How are you doing?

The Call That Changes Your Life