Day 19: I've never been good at juggling...

 


    I have thirteen (or more?) different providers and I've been onboarding two insurance reps, one that works with finding care and one that is supposed to help me with claims.  Most of my appointments are about a two-hour drive away, and driving is really hard for me.  My husband does the best he can to help out, but he has to work to pay for all of this!  In addition, I'm on about 20 different meds and supplements that I try to keep track of.  Some have to be taken away from food, some with food.  Some have to be taken away from other meds and supplements.  Some are in a days of the week container on the counter that I refill every week, others have to be in the fridge - those are the hardest to remember.  Every doctor wants to know what I'm taking now, and that changes every month, and what each of the things is for.  I can't remember!  I know my doctor told me.  I know we worked out my treatment plan together.  But I have no idea what was said, and my husband couldn't come with me last time so I can't ask him.

    Each of my providers uses a DIFFERENT online portal, with a different login.  They all like to send messages through the portals, and sometimes I get email notifications, but sometimes they go to my spam folder and sometimes I see them and forget until they've been pushed off the bottom of my inbox screen into the oblivion of thousands of unread emails.  Each doctor wants an intake form, and often a questionnaire to be filled out before each appointment.  Sometimes my appointments are in person, some of my doctor's I've never met in person, and some I've never seen their face because they started treating me in the age of Covid.  

    I do my best to keep my calendar up to date and coordinated with my husband's, it's a strong passion of his, but lately I keep getting these panic attacks thinking I've double booked or forgotten to put something on the calendar. So far things have turned out ok, but it doesn't slow down my heartbeat when the thoughts come to mind.

    I spoke with the insurance rep who is supposed to be helping me coordinate care on Tuesday for the first time and when she asked how she could help, I told her about all this and asked if there was any type of helper that could come alongside me.  She looked into it and got back to me with, "I don't think so, but if there was insurance will not cover it."  I shared my frustration and overwhelm with my husband and he told me that this is my job now essentially.  I told him I quit.

Here's the thing: Having a chronic illness, multiple chronic illnesses in my case, IS a full-time job and then some, and you don't get to quit.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on Having a Brain Tumor

Guest Post: How are you doing?

The Call That Changes Your Life