Day 11: EDS: The Yoga Connection

    
    One of the primary tests for determining if you have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) evaluates your hypermobility.  Hypermobility, or an increase in the range of movement of which a body part and especially a joint is capable (Merriam-Webster), in the case of EDS is caused by a defective collagen protein that leads to weakened connective tissues.  My tendons and ligaments are not strong enough to hold things in place.

    This was never more apparent in my life than when I began to participate in and teach yoga as I approached my 40s.  It all came so easily to me and I thought I was just naturally gifted at it.  I guess in a way that was true, but that gift came with a price.  It didn't take long for me to start sustaining injuries.  I reasoned them away as having not warmed up enough or that I was practicing too much.  The truth was my weakened connective tissues were tearing, and because of their faulty collagen they were not healing quickly or fully so the injuries were compounding on one another.

    Covid actually saved me in a lot of ways.  One of those was the cessation of yoga classes.  While I maintained some level of home practice, I wasn't doing nearly as much yoga or pushing my body nearly as far.  Still, much of the damage had been done.  

Here's the thing:  Being hypermobile made yoga easier and more accessible to me, but it also made it more dangerous.  Even with the consequences, I will always look back on my time doing yoga with fondness as it taught me so very much.  I just know now that if I ever get to do yoga regularly again, it will have to look very different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on Having a Brain Tumor

Guest Post: How are you doing?

The Call That Changes Your Life