Prolotherapy: Getting ready for my second treatment


     I didn't plan to write a post about this, but it has become an issue for me and so I thought it might be relevant to someone else as well.  

    Twenty-one years ago I was pregnant with my middle son at the same time my best friend was pregnant with her daughter.  I had the privilege of being in the delivery room with her, but while I was there I witnessed her getting an epidural.  Knowing that I was going to be having a c-section with a spinal six weeks later, this posed a problem for me.  During my first labor I had a c-section after 17 hours of pitocin-induced labor and any pain relief was welcome.  This time, however, I was having a (semi) scheduled c-section and I wouldn't be in much pain prior to the spinal - AND now I knew EXACTLY what they were doing behind me!  That caused no small amount of anxiety for me as the date approached.

    Similarly, prior to my first Prolotherapy treatment I was worried because I didn't know what it would be like.  This time I'm worried because I DO know what it's like.  During my first treatment we only addressed the right SI joint and this time we'll be doing both sides so it will be twice the injections and twice the discomfort.  I hate that word, discomfort.  If I'm being entirely honest, it hurts quite a bit.  I hesitate to say that here because I don't want to discourage anyone else from doing it because I do believe it's my best shot at improving the situation with my body, but I also want to be honest with you.

Here's the thing: So here I am, one week out from my next treatment and all kinds of anxious about it.  I'm going to do it, I just can't say I'm looking forward to it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on Having a Brain Tumor

Guest Post: How are you doing?

The Call That Changes Your Life