Why So Salty?

 



For me Salty refers to different things.  You’ve got the slang term which refers to someone who is irritated or angry.  Yep, that’s me sometimes.  If I’m being honest, which is what this space is for, there are many times when I don’t understand why I’m in the situation I am.  Why do I have to deal with chronic pain?  Why can’t I do the things that others can?  Then there’s the haters.  You know those people who look at me when I’m in a wheelchair or using a cane and think I have no business doing that because I’m young and I don’t have any visible disabilities.  Yep, they make me salty.

While those things are true and a real part of my experience, more importantly I seek to be salt.  I want to add flavor to the world, enhancing those around me to make them shine.  I want to speak truth that encourages others and preserves hope.  In Matthew 5:13 we read, “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.”  I’ve been called to be the salt of the earth and I long to fulfill that calling.  Way too often in my day to day life I fall short of saying and doing the things I know I should.  In this space, I seek to be bold in sharing truth and not shy away from the hard things. 

Here's the thing:

I believe that in order to be the salt, the flavor and preservative this world needs, I have to own that I am a little salty.  Ever feel that way?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on Having a Brain Tumor

Guest Post: How are you doing?

The Call That Changes Your Life